Motorcycle accidents are all too common. The majority of the people in Miami know at least one person that has been involved in a motorcycle accident. Tragically, most of these accidents are fatal because there isn’t much to protect the motorcyclists from other cars or the pavement.
Here are some steps you can take to prevent a motorcycle accident:
- Periodically test your break lights and turning signals, especially if you haven’t ridden the motorcycle for some time.
- Make sure your mirrors are positioned correctly.
- Frequently check fuel, oil, and cables. If anything is in questionable condition, don’t risk the ride.
- Invest in high-quality protection, including a helmet with shield and leather jacket and pants.
- Get your protective gear in bright colors to enhance visibility to other drivers.
- Wear non-slip gloves and boots or sneakers.
- Always obey the speed limit and traffic laws.
- Do keep a safe distance from other vehicles on the road.
- Do your part to make sure that other drivers can see you.
Unfortunately, even following the rules and taking safety precautions can’t fully protect a biker from being involved in an accident. If this happens to you, make sure you speak with a Coral Gables personal injury attorney immediately. If the motorcyclist is unable to speak to the attorney due to severe injury or death, family members also have rights to financial recovery which include funeral costs, medical expenses, and possibly suffering.