There’s no arguing that large trucks are dangerous vehicles, and they might just be getting bigger. Currently, these vessels are 74 feet in total, but a new Florida bill could legalize attached 33-foot trailers that would add an additional 17 feet to the already exorbitant length. That would make these mammoths approximately 91 feet long. In other words, vehicles roughly 9 stories long will be legally zooming on the windy South Florida highways. Trucking accidents are already responsible for many fatalities all over the country, and upon acceptance of this bill, they are likely to become an even bigger threat.
Trucking accident statistics
According to the Coalition Against Bigger Trucks, nearly 4,000 people were killed along with another 100,000 injured, in crashes involving large trucks over the past year. Legalizing longer trucks, which are harder to control and stop, means that the already astronomical statistics represented above are likely to increase. In terms of how much exactly, it is estimated that trucks possessing multiple trailers are predicted to increase the fatal crash rate by 11 percent. Below are some further trucking accident statistics for the United States as a whole.
- There are 15.5 million trucks on the roads in the U.S., 13 percent of which are 18 wheelers, tractor trailers, big rigs, or semis.
- Big rigs result in 60.5 injuries and 2.3 fatalities for every 100 million miles driven.
- 30 percent of all commercial truck crashes are caused by driver fatigue.
- Approximately 90 percent of commercial truck accidents are caused by human error.
- On average, roughly 130,000 Americans are injured in trucking accidents annually.
- Fatalities in tractor trailer accidents result in $20 billion in costs each year.
- 98 percent of all accidents that involve a semi in Miami result in fatalities.
If you have been injured in a trucking accident and are seeking damages for your injuries, Graham Legal can certainly help. We invite you to schedule an initial consultation as soon as possible, in order to let us best fight for you in court. Our group of caring, compassionate representatives is just one call away, and would love to get further acquainted with your specific situation today.